Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


UAE pardons Israeli woman who faced life in prison

  • Published
    18 hours ago

About sharing

Image source, Getty Images

The United Arab Emirates has released an Israeli woman a year after she was convicted on drug charges.

Fidaa Kiwan flew home on Sunday. Israel called her pardon a “special gesture” to President Isaac Herzog, who had requested her release.

Ms Kiwan was arrested on April 2021 for possessing cannabis and cocaine. Her initial death sentence was reduced to life in prison on appeal.

Israel and the UAE normalised relations under a US-brokered deal in 2020.


Ms Kiwan, an Arab-Israeli photographer, was visiting Dubai for work when she was arrested.

According to prosecutors, she was found with 50g of cocaine and 500g of cannabis. She said the cocaine was not hers.

President Herzog urged his UAE counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, to pardon her.

After the release, Mr Herzog thanked the UAE president and wished him “a month of kindness and peace” for Ramadan.

Under the US-brokered agreement, known as the Abraham Accords, Israel normalised relations with several Arab countries.

Ties between UAE and Israel have flourished since, with trade growing and Israeli tourists flocking to Dubai.

The UAE, a popular holiday destination, has a strict anti-drugs policy. The UK Foreign Office warns that even possession of small amounts of drugs can result in hefty fines or prison sentences.

You May Also Like

European Union

After a Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine was detained, U.N. nuclear watchdog chief Rafael Grossi announced that the man responsible has been released....


For many years we have seen how the Soft Power used by the Kremlin works exclusively through culture, exhibitions, musical groups presentations, etc. It...


The Azerbaijani diaspora, which numbers some 60 million people around the world has entered the virtual social media battle being waged between Armenia and...

United States

The body of the stone dealer had been decaying for several weeks by the time it was found in an Upper West Side apartment....