Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


River Danube: Ukrainian captain jailed after fatal river tour boat crash

  • Published
    8 minutes ago

About sharing

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

The captain of a cruise ship which collided with a small tour boat on the River Danube in Budapest, killing 28 people, has been jailed for five years.

During a rainstorm in May 2019, the Mermaid, carrying South Korean tourists, sank within seconds of the crash.

The Ukrainian captain of the Vikyn Sigyn cruise ship, Yuri Chaplinsky, denied wrongdoing but was found guilty of gross negligence.


Chaplinsky is expected to appeal.

The disaster was the worst in 30 years on the Danube, Europe’s second-longest river.

Hungarian prosecutors told a court on in March 2020 that Chaplinsky had failed to pay sufficient attention and had not properly focused on steering the ship for several minutes during the downpour.

“He did not sense the Mermaid’s presence, did not radio or send out emergency sound signals,” Miklos Novaki told the court.

The Viking Sigyn cruise ship struck the Mermaid tour boat just after 21:00 local time (19:00 GMT) on 29 May as both vessels passed under Budapest’s Margaret Bridge.

Seven of the 35 people on board were rescued and several bodies quickly recovered, but others were swept away in the swollen river or trapped inside the boat.

Police said the boat sank within seconds of the collision.

“The current was so fast and people were floating away,” one survivor, identified only by her surname Jung, told South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.

Twenty five of those killed were South Koreans. The Mermaid’s captain and its crew member also died.

Only seven Korean passengers survived the accident, while one Korean is still unaccounted for.

Chaplinsky, who has been in custody since 2019, told the court that he was “deeply sorry” about the fatal accident.

“I cannot escape the memories of this terrible tragedy for a minute, I cannot sleep, and I think this is what I have to live with for the rest of my life,” he said.

The 68-year-old was acquitted by the court on the charge of failing to provide help.

You May Also Like

European Union

After a Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine was detained, U.N. nuclear watchdog chief Rafael Grossi announced that the man responsible has been released....

United States

The goal is “energy security,” lobbyists said, although clean-energy advocates counter that wind and solar provide more protection from boom-and-bust oil markets. Russian troops...


For many years we have seen how the Soft Power used by the Kremlin works exclusively through culture, exhibitions, musical groups presentations, etc. It...

United States

The body of the stone dealer had been decaying for several weeks by the time it was found in an Upper West Side apartment....