Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


US military aircraft with eight aboard crashes off Japan island

  • Published
    6 minutes ago

About sharing

A US military aircraft with eight personnel on board has crashed off the coast of Japan.

Local media quoted officials who said the remains of the CV-22 Osprey have likely been found off Yakushima Island.

Japanese broadcaster NHK said the Osprey was trying to land at Yakushima airport. The plane’s left engine was on fire, it added.

It was thought to be heading from Yokota air base in Tokyo to Kadena base in Okinawa.


Yakushima, in Kagoshima prefecture, is located south of Japan’s Kyushu island.

The Osprey is an aircraft that can function as a helicopter and a turboprop aircraft.

It has been involved in a string of fatal crashes over the years.

In August, another Osprey crashed in northern Australia during a military exercise for locally based troops, killing three US marines among the 23 on board.

In 2017, three marines were killed when an Osprey crashed after clipping the back of a transport ship while trying to land at sea off Australia’s north coast.


This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

You May Also Like

European Union

After a Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine was detained, U.N. nuclear watchdog chief Rafael Grossi announced that the man responsible has been released....

United States

The goal is “energy security,” lobbyists said, although clean-energy advocates counter that wind and solar provide more protection from boom-and-bust oil markets. Russian troops...


For many years we have seen how the Soft Power used by the Kremlin works exclusively through culture, exhibitions, musical groups presentations, etc. It...

United States

The body of the stone dealer had been decaying for several weeks by the time it was found in an Upper West Side apartment....